Time for 5
July 24, 2011
At the end of last term Tim and I made the decision to pull 5 year old out of pre-school for the rest of the year.
I am looking forward to having this special time with her….
It wasn’t a decision we made lightly. She has a powerhouse personality which usually leaves whoever is with her feeling simultaneously cheerful about the world and completely ready for a nap. So this will be the me over the next 6 months until she heads off to big school.
A couple of things prompted our decision:
- her big/loud personality and size means her self control needs some particular training ….
- I have neglected, and want to address, some of the areas of Christian teaching with her that the other girls had before they went to school.
- she gets extremely tired from spending full days with other little people leading to a very slow day following her two days of pre-school. The other two days I have been looking after another child so it has left us with very little relating time.
- I wanted some days with her alone before she (my baby) goes off to school full time…. to do fun things and to get her impulsiveness a bit more in check.
- she wearies quickly from physical activity, so a little physical training will not go astray.
- we decided at the beginning of this year that she would be better with an extra year at home (May birthday) …so she is now in lots of ways very ready to be in big school…. and preschool isn’t really filling that need .
Some of the things that will change for me because of this decision are:
- my ‘free’ days when I did most of my harrysdesk work will now be spent with her….so I am feeling my way as to how much I can get done at night now my day hours are needed elsewhere.
- blogging regularity and content will change slightly as I gauge what I can and can’t do give a different schedule.
- I will be looking out for ‘home education’ type activities for her…. and maybe sharing those.
- my availability for certain things will change….. more time for the park and visiting …..less time for purely adult conversations during the day (although not impossible)
- less head-space time…. so pray for me (if you do that kind of thing) I am finding myself becoming more and more introverted as I get older.
So…. there it is.