The Blanket Monster. ‘Blanket’
Use me for a library bag, PJ bag, music bag, laptop bag…. things I haven’t thought of….bag.
Tutorial for A4 size monster…..
What you will need.
- a zipper (approx 49cm)
- 15cm x 100cm mouth fabric (red)
- 10cm x 50cm teeth fabric (white)
- an old blanket or bedspread with tasselled edge.
- small amount of fabric for eyeballs.
- 2 buttons.
- thick thread for sewing o the eyes.
How to make it.
1.Cut 2 rectangles 49cm x 13cm for the mouth (red)
2. Fold each piece in half length-wise and iron.
3. Pin folded edge of red moth rectangle to zipper on either side.
Machine the folded edge to either side of the zipper….. but not too close.
hint: The further your fabric from the zipper the less likely it is to get caught when opening and closing….and exposes the zipper more, which is what we want in this case.
- Cut 4 (or more) 8cm x 8cm squares for the teeth.
2. Fold in half diagonally and iron…..
….. fold in half diagonally and iron again.
3. Position the teeth (point down and cut edge matching the cut edge of the red) along the cut edge of the mouth (red) pieces. (I did 5cm from each end for the top, and 12cm from each end for the bottom)
1. Cut 2 rectangles 25cm x 14cm along the fringed edge. The measurements include the fringe.
2. With right sides together, machine down the non fringed edge with 1.5cm seam allowance.
3. Turn back to right sides… forming a cylinder like shape. Press with the seam down the middle of the arm. (this reduces the bulk in sewing it together later).
BODY (Part1) :
- Cut 1 rectangle 49cm x 51cm. (blanket fabric)
- Cut another rectangle 49cm x 20cm.
- Machine (with right sides together) the rectangles on either side of the mouth piece along the 49cm edges.
4. Iron so that the teeth head toward the zipper ( press seams away from mouth on the wrong side)…..
Cut 2 circles (black and white).
2. Position them on the smaller rectangle above the mouth.
3. With a needle and thick thread position and sew on the eyes.
1. Position the monsters arms where you would like them. Position them with the fringing toward the middle and with the seam facing up.
2. With right sides together and zipper open about 10cm, line up the cut edges of the triangles to form a large rectangle. Pin.
3. Machine the sides together. Stitch the seam again where the arms are positioned to reinforce them.
1. Along the bottom edge create the legs by measuring across 12cm from each side seam and putting a pin….then up into the monster 12cm and placing a pin.
2. With a ruler join up the dots and cut through both layers of blanket to create the leg shape. Machine together along the newly cut line. Seam allowance 1.5cm.
- Now for the top (horns). Coming diagonally down from the top corners about 3cm and put a dot ( don’t come lower than your eyes) draw a line from one dot to the other using a ruler. This is your machining line.
- Trim excess fabric from the corners being careful not the cut your stitching.
- Turn your monster inside out through the zipper hole.
- Push the horns and legs out with the end of your scissors to get a nice point.
5. Enjoy and love your monster.