The ‘Great Depression’
April 6, 2011
Those of you who know me well will know that….. my house has been having a very negative effect on my mood lately. Anything concerning my house was feeling like the Great Depression.
The main reasons:
- Six (not small or becoming smaller) people sharing a 3 bedroom flat is squashy.
- I need a studio space for harrysdesk …. which only adds to the squish and the stuff.
- Tim needs a desk space … as he works a lot from home….which adds to the squish and the stuff.
- About 2/3 of our family are untidy by nature….and the other 1/3 are finding this difficult….and sometime join in the messy tone of others, just to survive.
- The girls are getting older and their needs are different to that of toddlers or the early school years.
- We have thought for years that this address was temporary and that something more appropriate would come along. So we have waited, and looked and prayed. It hasn’t. So we have kind of camped…. like students (clothes racks, furniture that we have rather than that would suit a particular purpose).
- We have too much stuff! Why wasn’t I told the ‘Great Depression’ ended well before I was born.
- Visuals have a disproportionate effect on my mood….both ways.
- It’s really stressful doing any sort of hospitality here. Something we really love being able to do.
- We have too much stuff…. or have I already mentioned that.
So we are fighting back.
I am going to blog my process so I keep going. I need all the help I can get! Please be very gushing in your encouraging remarks…..
So….one room at a time.
In the next couple of days I will show you the first room to get a work over, then as the weeks go on (yes it will take weeks…. possibly months) I plan to share some de-cluttering tools from other people and some more rooms as they get sorted.
Some of you are struggling (or confidently coping) with similar changing needs of space and the challenge to have less stuff, so I am hoping as you see my failures and hopefully some successes you will feel encouraged to start …. and continue.
I will show photos where I can, but sometimes the rooms are just too messy and too cluttered to share and keep any dignity intact. Some of you will understand.
So join me……