August 24, 2010
1 feeling or showing pleasure or contentment : Melissa came in looking happy and excited | [with clause ] we’re just happy that he’s still alive |[with infinitive ] they are happy to see me doing well.
• [ predic. ] ( happy about) having a sense of confidence in or satisfaction with (a person, arrangement, or situation) : I was never very happy about the explanation | I can’t say they looked too happy about it, but a deal’s a deal.
• [ predic. ] ( happy with) satisfied with the quality or standard of :I’m happy with his performance.
• [with infinitive ] willing to do something : we will be happy to advise you.
• (of an event or situation) characterized by happiness : we had a very happy, relaxed time.
• [ attrib. ] used in greetings : happy birthday.
• [ attrib. ] fortunate and convenient : he had the happy knack of making people like him.
2 [in combination ] informal inclined to use a specified thing excessively or at random : our litigation-happy society.
PHRASES (as) happy as a clam ( at high tide) extremely happy. happy hunting ground a place where success or enjoyment is obtained.
[ORIGIN: originally referring to the optimistic hope of American Indians for good hunting grounds in the afterlife.]
DERIVATIVES happiness |ˈhøpin1s| nounORIGIN Middle English (in the sense [lucky] ): from the noun hap + -y 1
Why am I telling you this?
I have been tagged, by the ever happy Steph, to tell you the ten things that make me happy.
I must tell you though, before I start, that there are two words that I think we overuse in the english vocabulary at the moment. One of them… obviously is happy and the other one is deserve.
I will save that rant for another day…. phew! …. I hear you all happily sigh.
- I am a child of God….. and that I did nothing to deserve it.
- My husband coming home at random times of the day with a coffee for me.
- Watching/helping my kids learn a new skill.
- A close game of Rugby or Basketball.
- The house with the red door on my walk to school.
- The magnolia trees in blossom.
- The park at the back of my house.
- A good book…and time to read it.
- Creating things.
Now…. who do I want to tag?
If anyone else (especially non-bloggers) want to share the 10 things that make them happy, that would be great too.